Home > Youth In Motion
Youth In Motion: A Workshop for Emerging Filmmakers
Piloted in 2014 as part of its smART program series and in conjunction with its annual Viet Film Fest, VAALA presents Youth In Motion: A Workshop for Emerging Filmmakers. This program is being offered by VAALA to support young voices, stories, and perspectives in the Vietnamese community through the art of digital films. Workshop participants will explore and learn basic skills and tools for digital filmmaking and work collaboratively to produce short films that will premiere at the 2015 Viet Film Fest in April.
Participants will have the opportunity to learn about the production process - from storytelling to camera work to editing - and put their skills to practice. Some sessions will include guest speakers from the local film community. The workshop is free and no previous experience in film is needed to participate!
This year’s program will emphasize the themes of social justice and community to encourage participants to think critically about the world they live in and how to use storytelling and filmmaking as a way to highlight and share their stories and the stories of their communities.
If you are a Vietnamese youth between the ages of 16-22, are interested in participating, and can commit to the schedule below, please complete the application form and e-mail it to email@example.com by Friday, January 9th, 2015. Space is limited and we will follow up with you once we receive your application. If you have any questions, please contact Thuan Nguyen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Schedule (topics subject to change)
When: Sundays from 1:00-4:00pm
Where: VAALA Cultural Center at 1600 N. Broadway, Suite 210, Santa Ana, CA 92796
- January 11th: Introductions, Overview & Background; Storytelling
- January 18th: Elements of Filmmaking; Tools for Filmmaking
- January 25th: Narratives and Documentaries
- February 1st: The Production Process; Acting and Interviewing
- February 8th: Pre-Production: Pieces of the Production Plan
- February 15th: Pre-Production: Scripts and Storyboarding
- February 22nd: Production
- March 1st: Production
- March 8th: Production
- March 15th: Production
- March 22nd: Post-Production
- March 29th: Post-Production
- April 3rd: Youth In Motion Celebration
- April 16th - 19th: Viet Film Fest
Click the links below to watch ThaoLinh Tran’s short film “Different Kinds of Birds.” ThaoLinh was one of the participants of Youth in Motion 2014.